Cats are known for being fickle with their affections. One minute it might seem like your cat loves you and then the next they seem to want nothing to do with you. It might seem that your cat hates you but loves everyone else. Well, if you feel like this, there’s probably a good reason for it. So today we are going explain why your cat might be giving you the cold shoulder or at least why you think they are.
Certain People Are Annoying to Cats
There are many different reasons why some cats take a disliking to certain people. It can be something simple like the way you smell or the fact you are too noisy or loud but the most common and likely reason is that you are annoying them by trying to be too affectionate or trying to force affection from your cats.
Try paying attention to the way you interact with your cat and the way other members of your family do. The chances are if your constantly trying to pick your cat up or pet them all the time, they’re gonna get sick of you. Some cats are affectionate but most cats like to interact with you on their terms. Pestering them for pets and scratches is ultimately going to make them less affectionate towards or even dislike you.
Cats Are Sensitive Animals
Cats you already might know are very sensitive creatures and pick up on slight changes to their lifestyle and environment. If you’ve recently done something to disturb your cat’s daily life, like replacing some furniture, moving their bed, or even introducing a new pet to the family it’s likely your cat will be annoyed or angry at you.
Whatever the reason, if you feel like the bond between you and your cat is suffering there are a couple of things you can try. With a little patience, I’m sure you can win back your cat’s affection.
Cats Are Independent and Get Easily Annoyed
Cats are naturally independent creatures and at times enjoy spending time alone or at the very least in a small group. They like peace and quiet. They like to live their life on their terms. If you are noisy, or an overly-affectionate person the chances are you are going to make your cat feel overwhelmed and stressed out.
It’s understandable that you want to give your cat affection, you want to pet it and you want it to come to sit on your lap but the truth is some cats just don’t want to and you shouldn’t try to force them or they’ll resent you for it. The more you do it the more they will become agitated or even aggressive.
If you think your cat falls into one of these categories, it’s important to be respectful of their wishes and give them the space and peace they need. They’ll come to you when they are ready.
Cats Actually Like People Who Aren’t Cat People
Cats like to be around people who are not really considered “cat people” according to a recent study. It’s something you might have known already but never wanted to come to terms with. Cats love to have control of their independence and they enjoy the company of humans who just let them do their thing and don’t suffocate them for attention.
- What Happens if Cats Are Left in a Dark House?
- Moss Water for Cats [Ultimate Guide]
- The Best Bone Broth for Cats in 2022 [Complete Guide]
- Quality of Life Scale for Cats – The Hhhhhmm Scale
Ways to Make Your Cat Like You
So you think your cat hates you and loves everyone else? The chances are this isn’t true. But if somehow it is true then you need to maybe take a quick look in the mirror and understand what you are doing wrong to make your cat hate you.
Here are a couple of things you can do to win back the heart of your kitty.
- Be patient – Don’t try to force affectionate interactions. Be respectful of your cat and their space. Give them their independence and don’t hassle them for attention.
- Respect their space – cats have their own personal space just as humans do. Try to agitate them by getting in their way
- Offer treats – Bribery works no surprise. Offer your cat some yummy treats as a peace offering.
- Play with them – If your cat enjoys playing then buy some toys and spend some time bonding with them. Older cats tend to not enjoy playing as much so just use some common sense whether you think it’s a good idea or not.
- Give them lots of love and attention when they want it – When they are ready and comfortable to sit with you make sure you make the most of it.
If you want to make your cat like you, it’s important to give them space and respect their independence. Offer them treats, play with them, and give them lots of love and attention when they want it. With a little patience, you can win back the affection of your kitty.