Dogs and humans have been close companions for thousands of years, they truly are man’s best friend. So it’s no wonder that we want to share some of our snacks with our best friends right? It’s a way to create a bond, way of rewarding your dog, and a way of showing love. Many enjoy giving their dog human foods, but the truth is a lot of food we eat can be toxic to our pet dogs. So what about pirates’ booty snacks? Can Dogs eat pirate’s booty safely? Let’s find out.
Pirate’s booty is a tasty snack made mainly from puffed rice and corn. It comes in a variety of flavors including, cheddar, sour cream and onion, and barbecue.
Pirate’s Booty snacks are made by the company Pirate Brands, which is a subsidiary of the B&G Foods company.
Yes, dogs can eat pirate’s booty snacks. However, while a small amount is unlikely to cause any issues, it’s best not to feed them to your dog regularly or in large quantities due to the ingredients present. Instead, it’s recommended to opt for healthier treats that are specifically made for dogs.
Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Feed Your Dog Pirate’s Booty Snacks
Although pirate booty snacks are not toxic or even really harmful they are not an ideal treat to feed to your pup. The following are the main reasons you should think twice when feeding your dog human snacks.
- Cheese: Some of the Pirate’s booty snacks contain aged cheddar cheese which is a dairy product. Some dogs will have difficulty digesting and it could lead to stomach upset or diarrhea.
- Salt: These snacks also contain sea salt, which can be harmful to dogs in large quantities. Excessive salt intake can cause dehydration, vomiting, and even seizures. These sats are pretty high in salt which can be harmful to dogs in large quantities, although you are unlikely to find enough to do any damage to your dog in these snacks it’s likely to dehydrate them significantly.
- High in carbs: As with most tasty snacks, they’re full of carbohydrates and low in protein, which means they’re fattening and not ideal for a dog’s diet. Giving your dog too many snacks like this will certainly lead to weight gain which can lead to health problems further down the road.
Pirates Booty Ingredients
Here you can see the main ingredients present in the snack, as you can see, none of them really bring much in terms of nutrition.
- Rice Flour
- Sunflower Oil and/or Expeller Pressed Canola Oil
- Cheddar Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes)
- Natural Flavor
- Sea Salt
Note: This is for the cheddar cheese flavor, other flavors may contain slightly different ingredients, so it’s important to always check the label for the full list.
How Much Pirate’s Booty Is Safe for My Dog to Consume?
Figuring out the amount that is safe for a dog to consume will vary based on factors such as the size and weight of the dog, including existing health issues. If you are worried or concerned that your dog has consumed too much it might be worth speaking to your vet.
Long-Term Effects of Feeding Dogs Human Snacks
If you frequently give your dog human snacks, it could have negative effects on their health in the long term. This is because human snacks may not have the necessary balance of nutrients that dogs require. It is crucial to ensure that your dog’s diet is well-rounded and tailored to its needs so that it can stay healthy and content. Continuously feeding your dog human snacks can cause them to gain weight and become unhealthy because its body may not be receiving the nutrients it needs. As responsible dog owners, it is important to provide our furry companions with nutritious food and treats that are specifically designed for dogs. Let’s make sure our dogs receive the best possible care and remain in good health.
Although a small serving of pirate’s booty snacks may not immediately harm your dog, it is advisable to refrain from regularly feeding your furry friend with such snacks or in large quantities. Opting for nutritious snacks made specifically for dogs is a better alternative as they provide essential nutrients and are more suitable for your dog’s dietary needs. Your dog will definitely enjoy these healthy snacks just as much, if not more.