Flea collars are pet collars that have been treated with chemicals to protect dogs from the painful bites of fleas and to aid in efficiently eradicating these pests from the pet bodies. But sometimes, flea collars do not work effectively.
Let’s discuss why flea collars not working on dogs properly and how to choose the best quality flea collars.
5 Reasons Why Flea Collar Not Working
Here are the top 5 reasons that lead to the inefficient working of flea collars:
- Dog Scratching It: It is essential that you are aware that the flea collar is only effective while your pet is wearing it. Upon removal, there will be an abrupt halt to the action. Therefore, you should ensure the flea collar is on at all times, including when your pup is swimming or taking a bath.
- It Might Have Affected By The Flea: It is possible that your dog is already affected by the fleas severely. In that case, flea collars may take some time to work or did not work at the very start (due to the huge flea population)
- Irregular Bath: Most flea collars are waterproof and work even if your dog gets wet, so you don’t have to take it off when it swims or takes a bath. However, it can only get wet so often. After some period of time, it will either stop functioning altogether or become less efficient. It is recommended that you do not give your dog more than two baths each month and that you only do it when they are wearing their collar. Swimming is not at all recommended at this time. Once the active ingredients have been relatively distributed across your pet’s coat, shampooing significantly shortens the 32 weeks of the effectiveness of the flea collar.
- Thick Fur: It may be challenging for the flea collar to operate well with the thick coat since it isn’t able to penetrate it entirely.
- Chemical Doesn’t Suit Them: It is possible that the chemicals used in flea collar is allergic and not suitable for your pup’s skin. So, try to change the flea collar with different active ingredients.
How to Choose the Right Flea Collar for Your Dog
When deciding which flea collar is the most suitable for your pup, you need to take into account the product’s efficacy, durability, and safety. Any premium quality flea collar for dogs must successfully eliminate adult fleas for up to 32 weeks.
The most effective flea collar is one that can eliminate flea adults, eggs, and flea larvae. The vast majority of flea collars are also water resistant, meaning they can be wet for short periods and should not be removed before bathing or swimming.
Qualities of Best Flea Collar
Here are some of the characteristics of the best quality flea collar:
- Automatic protection via rescheduling
- Easy to use
- Repels other parasites along with fleas, such as mosquitos and ticks
- Resistance to water
Best Flea Collar Dogs (Top Choices)
PETARMOR Plus Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
PetAmor Plus is a topical treatment for fleas and ticks that is powerful and kills eggs, larvae, and adult fleas for up to 28-30 days. This collar is waterproof. Additionally, this collar is of veterinary quality. It contains the active component fipronil, which is widely recognized as a potent medication that begins killing fleas in the treated area 24 hours after it has been applied. To figure out how much of the product you should purchase, you need to weigh your pet and use that number as the basis for your decision.
- This collar is highly effective, and waterproof.
- Up to 3 months’ worth of protection against flea eggs and larvae.
- In contrast to common flea collars, this collar has a different active component (Fipronil) which is of very potent vet quality.
- Not effective in the long run.
- DOG FLEA AND TICK CONTROL: PetArmor topical flea and tick treatment kills adult fleas, ticks and chewing lice. Backed by the PetArmor Protection Guarantee.
- VET QUALITY FORMULA: Dog flea treatment contains the active ingredient fipronil.
- FAST-ACTING FLEA TREATMENT: PetArmor flea treatment for dogs can help you stop an existing flea or tick infestation.
- FLEA AND TICK PREVENTION: PetArmor for dogs helps you protect your furry family member from brown dog ticks, American dog ticks, lone star ticks, and deer ticks (which may transmit Lyme disease).
- INCLUDES: Three (3) topical application tubes for a 3 month supply of dog and flea and tick control. For best results, apply flea & tick treatment for dogs directly to dry skin on your dog’s back-between the shoulder blades-on a monthly basis.
Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Treatment
Frontline is a waterproof flea treatment collar that works quickly and is an excellent therapy for dogs and other animals. It is likely the most popular flea treatment available. It is effective for an extended period of time, destroys eggs and larvae, puts an end to infestations, and inhibits new infestations from growing. Frontline Plus for Dogs has also become one of the most well-known brand names in the industry of flea treatments for pets.
- The frontline flea collar is one of the most well-known brand names available for the treatment of fleas and ticks.
- It is water resistant and kills fleas on touch immediately.
- Veterinarian approved.
- A little bit costly.
- Keep your dog protected from fleas & ticks all month long with FRONTLINE Plus for Dogs a fast-acting, waterproof flea & tick topical that’s proven to kill fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, chewing lice, and ticks that can transmit Lyme disease.
- Break the flea life cycle with FRONTLINE Plus. Specially formulated with fipronil and (S)-methoprene to kill existing adult fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae to guard against further infestations for flea control.
- Trusted by pet owners for over 20 years, FRONTLINE Plus for Dogs can be used on puppies as young as eight weeks old, weighing 5 pounds or more, and is easy to apply with one monthly dose providing protection from fleas & ticks for a full 30 days.
- FRONTLINE Plus also comes in a formula designed for cats and kittens eight weeks of age and older, 1.5lbs. and over so you can protect the dogs or cats in your house from fleas and ticks with FRONTLINE Brand Products.
- Treat all dogs or cats in your household monthly to effectively control fleas and ticks and prevent the establishment of new flea infestations.
- Are Snowberries Poisonous to Dogs? [Completed Guide]
- Can Dogs Have Tapioca Pearls?
- Do Dogs Have Butt Cheeks?
Question: Why Does My Dog Still Have Fleas With a Flea Collar?
Answer: This may be due to many reasons, including the following:
- Your dog is scratching the flea collar
- Your pup is taking frequent or irregular baths
- Your dog has thick fur
- Flea collar chemical does not suit your dog.
Question: How Long Does It Take for Flea Collars to Work?
Answer: In most cases, chemical flea collars begin to work within the first 24 hours, but it often takes approximately three to four weeks for the full effects of the treatment to become apparent.
Question: Do you leave a flea collar on all the time?
Answer: For the flea control collar to be successful, it must be worn consistently by your pet for a period of at least 32 weeks. Because it is equipped with several safety measures, the collar can provide you with the peace of mind to let your dog continue leading their usual, active lifestyle.
If you choose to use flea collars on your dog, your pup will most likely benefit from wearing one. Flea collars often continue to be effective for several months, providing dogs with continuous protection against fleas.