Dogs are interested in everything indoors and outdoors. Occasionally, they might pick up a novel object and attempt to determine whether it is a toy or food. Dogs might be confused if the new thing smells pleasant. A wine cork could have an odor that reminds certain canines of something very appetizing. But what actually happens if your canine companion eats a cork?
Cork is not digestible; therefore, your pup will often pass it in feces or puke it. However, if your pooch consumes a cork in its whole, it may get digestive blockages.
Keeping a dog is similar to having a child because you must prevent them from consuming harmful substances.
What Happens if a Dog Eats Cork?
When dogs consume cork, they put themselves at risk of developing a disorder known as a corkscrew intestinal syndrome (CIS).
Cork is a sort of material that is commonly used in the manufacturing of wine bottle stoppers and is formed from the bark of certain trees. Many people don’t understand cork bark originates from a tree since it looks like tree bark. But why is it dangerous for a dog to eat cork?
There are numerous things that can happen to your dog. Therefore you must be aware of them all before intervening.
There are two possible outcomes if your dog consumes the entire cork:
- Cork can expand: If the bottle cork was made of actual cork, his stomach and digestive fluids could cause it to expand.
- Intestinal obstruction: whether or not the cork expands, there is a very high possibility that it will induce an intestinal blockage. This is true even if it does expand. This is a major medical emergency that, if untreated, might very well result in death.
Some pet owners are compelled to induce vomiting if their dog has consumed a foreign object. However, you should not do this unless the advice of the veterinarian specifically directs you to do so. Otherwise, you run the risk of doing additional damage.
If your dog managed to shred the cork, there is a good chance that he will throw up the majority of the pieces. This happens in dogs with sensitive stomachs. That would be nice, but the best thing would be to call the vet to see what they suggest.
If the cork was recently consumed, the veterinarian may induce vomiting or perform a treatment to remove it. If x-rays reveal the cork entered the intestines, your pet will need surgery. Most canines will make a complete recovery if they are diagnosed and treated immediately.
Can a Dog Digest a Cork?
Corks are indigestible for dogs, so they either have to throw them up or pass them through their stool. On the other hand, full corks risk obstructing the digestive tract if your dog eats them. Corks are indigestible for dogs, but the pieces may pass through if they chew them up. Nevertheless, corks provide a number of risks, some of which, if uncontrolled, might result in deaths. It is necessary to observe and get advice from a veterinarian.
Smaller dogs’ digestive systems are more likely to clog if a big cork is ingested. On the other hand, large dogs have bigger intestines, making it easier for the cork to go through their digestive systems.
Additionally, complications are more prevalent in dog breeds with a propensity for digestive issues. If your dog ate a cork and you’re worried about his digestive system or size, consult a vet immediately.
Can a Dog Choke on a Cork?
Cork has grooves that can cause choking in dogs. Since corks are widely used in children’s toys, many think they’re too big for dogs.
However, it turns out that this is not always the case—especially if your dog is a chewer or has already consumed other tiny things.
Cork may cause significant health issues or injuries in dogs, but there are ways to prevent them. Prevention is the best when it comes to the well-being of your canine companion.
Can Corks Expand in a Dog’s Stomach?
Cork absorbs liquids and prevents leaks. If you use a natural cork, it might expand in the dog’s gut. This expanding capability is not present in all corks.
Are Wine Corks Safe for Dogs?
The primary issue is that cork is not digestible, even after being broken down into smaller pieces. If the cork is eaten into extremely small bits, the cork will likely pass through your pet’s digestive tract.
How to Manage a Pup That Ate a Cork?
Take a few slow, deep breaths and calm down before you start stressing out. Consider the number of dog parents and the number of corks that fall to the floor. There are many ways to deal with this situation. The following is what the majority of vets would recommend:
- To begin, you should determine whether or not your dog ingested the cork. Have you noticed a piece of the cork falling to the ground? Did someone just take the cork out of the bottle? If you were not present when your dog consumed the cork, then there is a possibility that they did not do so. Check everything twice before you decide to assume something.
- Attempt to determine whether or not your dog chewed it up into bits or whether or not it was ingested in its whole. Even if your furry friend managed to swallow the cork without choking on it, you might still need to take him to the veterinarian so that the cork may be removed. Consultation with a qualified veterinarian should always be your first step.
- You should provide your dog with less food at each meal in the next few days. The medical community refers to this as “supportive care.” Your dog will be able to pass cork fragments with less effort on its digestive tract if you feed them smaller meals that are higher in fiber content.
- Keep an eye on them while they use the toilet. Problems associated with a dog’s gastrointestinal tract cork will make elimination difficult. You could notice that they struggle, have fewer bowel movements, or simply look uncomfortable.
- Inspect their stool to see if there are any pieces of cork. Do you observe any signs of cork in the canine’s feces? If you do not observe any symptoms of a cork in the feces, it is possible that your dog did not consume the cork. There is also a possibility that they have already popped the cork.
- Take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as you discover any symptoms of discomfort on their part. Any indication of obstruction should be sufficient cause to contact a qualified pet veterinarian.