Is Simpson Stopper Poisonous to Dogs? [Myrcianthes Fragrans]

Listen up, fellow dog owners. We all know our dogs at times are a bit mischievous and love to explore the world with their nose and mouths first and foremost, but sometimes they munch on plants that could be harmful. Enter the Simpson Stopper. You may have this innocent-looking shrub in your garden, but is it Poisonous to dogs? 

is simpson stopper poisonous to dogs

Well, you’ll be happy to know that Simpson Stopper is not poisonous to dogs but it can cause some gastrointestinal upset if ingested in large quantities. The plant contains tannins, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. The severity of the symptoms will depend on the amount of plant material ingested and the size of the dog. So, while it’s not poisonous, it’s best to prevent your dog from ingesting it and to monitor them closely if they do.

What is Simpson Stopper?

Myrcianthes Fragrans, most commonly known as Simpson Stopper or Twin Berry is a small shrub native to the Caribbean and South America.

Simpson Stopper is a pretty plant that stays green all year and smells nice with small white flowers that bloom in the summer. It also grows yummy red fruits that birds love to eat. People like to plant it in their gardens and use it as a hedge or screen because it’s easy to grow and keep up with. 

Is Simpson Stopper Poisonous to Dogs?

Good news! Simpson Stopper won’t poison your dog, but if they eat a lot, it could upset their tummy. The plant has something called tannins that can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and belly aches.

See also  My Dog Has One Really Thick Whisker [Explaination]

What to Do If Your Dog Ingests Simpson Stopper?

If you think your dog has eaten Simpson Stopper, watch them closely for any signs of tummy troubles like throwing up, diarrhea, or belly aches.

If your dog has eaten a lot of the plant or seems really sick, call your vet for help. They might want you to bring your dog in for a check-up.

simpson stopper dog can they eat it

If your dog has mild tummy problems, you can take care of them at home. Try giving your pup small meals of easy-to-digest food, like boiled chicken and rice. Also, make sure they have plenty of fresh water to drink.

You can also contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for guidance. They have a hotline available 24/7 at (888) 426-4435. There is a consultation fee, but they can provide valuable advice on what to do next or maybe even speak to a vet online.

If you think your dog has eaten something poisonous, take these steps:

  • Stay calm and try to identify what your dog has eaten and how much.
  • Call your vet or an animal poison control center immediately for advice.
  • Follow any first aid instructions provided by the vet or animal poison control center.
  • Take your dog to the vet or an emergency animal hospital immediately.
  • Follow any further treatment instructions provided by the vet, which may include monitoring, supportive care, or medication.
  • Acting quickly is important, as early treatment can improve your dog’s chances of recovery.
See also  Can a White-Crowned Snake Kill a Dog? [Guide]


Simpson Stopper, a plant commonly found in many gardens, is not poisonous to dogs. However, ingesting large amounts of it can cause mild gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, due to the presence of tannins in the plant. It’s best to prevent your dog from eating Simpson Stopper, and if they do, monitor them closely for any symptoms. If severe symptoms occur, contact a veterinarian for advice. As a responsible dog owner, it’s important to ensure your garden is dog-friendly and that your furry friend stays happy and healthy.