There’s a saying that we are what we eat; the same goes for cats.
You will agree that cats are perfect companions. They make us smile and warm our hearts with their unique, playful antics. Besides veterinary care, cat food is one of the things that come first when caring for your kitty.
You must feed your cats healthy and nutritious food. The kindred spirits are carnivores, which means they require a high level of protein to thrive. Therefore, one of the things you need to look out for when choosing a cat food is protein. Protein boils down to fish, meat, fish, salmon, lamb, turkey, and other food rich in protein.
Furthermore, Taurine is rich in amino acids and is suitable for cats. Other essentials include water, minerals, enzymes, fatty acids, and vitamins. Quality cat food might be pretty expensive compared to cheaper brands, but it will save you stress and money in the long run.
Wet Cat Food vs. Dry Cat Food – Which One Is Preferable?
The truth is the two options are beneficial to cats. And you will not be depriving your pet of healthy and nutritional food if you decide to feed your cat either of the two.
One significant difference distinguishing the two cat food options is the moisture level. Dry cat food has only approximately 10% of water, while the other 90% comprises dry substances comprising fats, vitamins, and carbohydrates. On the other hand, wet cat food comes with about 70% moist and 30% dry substance.
Also, wet cat foods are often canned, while the other cat food options come in kibble. We will walk you through the other features, perks, and downsides of the two food options.
Wet Cat Food
As mentioned earlier, wet cat foods are canned cat food with a high level of moisture. The food is manufactured with frozen/fresh meat and other protein sources in grain.
It is essential to note that the meat is blended with other ingredients like fats, vitamins, and water in the production process of canned cat food. The composite of all these ingredients is packaged in a can. It has low carbohydrates and is more proteinous than dry cat food.
Perks of Wet Cat Food
- The canned cat food has a high level of moisture, making it perfect for cats with health conditions like lower urinary tract disease, kidney diseases, and diabetes. All these health conditions demand the ingestion of higher levels of water.
- Some picky cats might prefer the canned cat food to the dry option.
Downsides of High Wet Cat Food
- Most canned cat food is expensive.
- When the canned food is unboxed, you must store it in a refrigerator. Also, it only has a one-day shelf-life, so you might have to dispose of the cat food if you have cats with a low appetite.
Dry Cat Food
The manufacturing process of dry food entails combining and cooking meat, minerals, fats, and vitamins at a high pressure and temperature rate. That way, the starch is easily digestible.
It has more carbohydrates when compared to wet cat food. However, the protein level varies depending on the type of diet.
Perks of Dry Cat Food
- Dry cat foods are budget-friendly and are considered a perfect choice for those with limited budgets.
- Unlike wet cat foods, they are not required to be stored in refrigerators. That makes it safe and easy to preserve.
Downsides of Dry Cat Food
- One major downside of dry cat foods is that they make cats obese. That is because dry foods are rationed compared to the pricey options.
- Cats with dentition disease might have a hard time consuming dry foods. Also, it’s not ideal for cats suffering from diseases requiring more liquid intake.
Top 10 Fiber Response Cat Food Options
Now it’s crystal clear that the two options have perks and downsides. Therefore, it’s hard to pick one over the other. However, you can either explore the two options or try the two out with your cats.
When your cats have a certain, you switch. And one of those days you are on a limited budget, dry cat food is a great option.
With that said, fiber ( a type of carbohydrate) aids food movement through a cat’s gastrointestinal organs. Moreso, a higher portion of the fiber will not be broken down; instead, it will be used as a means of transportation for the meat a cat is meant to ingest. Therefore, you should avoid giving your cats too much fiber.
Fiber response cat food is classified into two categories, namely:
- High fiber wet cat food
- High fiber dry cat food
Shortly, we will walk you through our list of top 10 recommended fiber cat food options. As expected, the list will cut across these two fiber-response cat food. Ready?
Merrick Lid Grain-Free Duck Recipe Canned Cat Food
Merrick manufactures the next fiber response cat food on the list. It is pate and comes in chicken, salmon, and duck flavors, depending on your preference.
Merrick cat food is made of limited ingredients which allow you to control what your cats ingest. It is free of preservatives, artificial colors, and grains.
The real deboned duck is the primary ingredient in Merrick canned cat food. The deboned protein source single-handedly provides the vitamin, amino acids, and minerals that support cats’ healthy muscles and energy.
Besides, it has many Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids to promote skin and health. The cat food is also perfect for cats dealing with gastrointestinal issues. It does not exempt kitties with sensitive stomachs.
Perks of Merrick LID Grain-Free Duck Recipe Canned Cat Food
- Limited ingredients
- Ideal for cats with digestion issues.
Downsides of Merrick LID Grain-Free Duck Recipe Canned Cat Food
- It is pricey
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Hairball Control Chicken Cat Food
Blue Buffalo-manufactured cat food helps your pets build up and maintain lean muscle mass. It is made with the best natural source of ingredients with vitamins and minerals.
It has approximately 7.4% of fiber content. The Blue Buffalo product is free of grain, soy, wheat, corn, preservatives, and artificial flavors. It is classified as high fiber dry cat food. The primary protein source is carbohydrates, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas.
Perks of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Hairball Control Chicken Cat Food
- Help obese cats achieve weight loss.
- It comes with natural fiber and carbohydrates
- Ideal for cats dealing with hairballs.
Downsides of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Hairball Control Chicken Cat Food
- It is only significant for indoor cats. Other cats cannot eat this food.
Wellness Core Grain-Free Original Dry Formula Cat Food
Cat food is manufactured by Wellness Natural Pet Food and comes with a chicken flavor. And it falls under the category of high fiber dry cat food. The kibble only has 38% of protein and 5% fiber. It comes in chicken flavor and ensures that your cat has immunity, sound digestion, healthy eyes, strong teeth, and lustrous skin.
It has a natural source of fiber, and the controlled mineral aids urinary health support. Although the cat food is ideal for indoor cats, it has 20% less fat than other cat food.
Perks of Wellness CORE Grain-Free Original Dry Formula Cat Food
- Wellness Natural Pet Food will help obese cats keep fit.
- It has a natural source of fiber and a high level of protein.
- Low calories
Downsides of Wellness CORE Grain-Free Original Dry Formula Cat Food
- It has just 5% fiber
- Only made for indoor cats
Royal Canin Vet Diet Gastrointestinal Canned Cat Food
Royal Canin-manufactured cat food has low calories. It is designed to help obese cats achieve weight loss. The proteins in the cat food are easily digested, and the prebiotic protein ensures healthy gut bacteria and digestive functions.
The Omega-3 in canned food helps with inflammation. It is gravy and categorized as a high fiber wet cat food. It is important to note that vets prescribe the Royal Canin-manufactured food for cats with intense digestive issues.
Perks of Royal Canin Vet Diet Gastrointestinal Canned Cat Food
- It has low calories and helps obese cats lose weight
- It comes with Omega-3 and prebiotic protein
- A great choice to deal with all kinds of digestive issues with your cats.
Downsides of Royal Canin Vet Diet Gastrointestinal Canned Cat Food
- It has a large amount of cornstarch and cornflour. Therefore, there is a high level of carbohydrates in the cat food.
Primal Duck Formula Freeze-Dried Nuggets Cat Food
Primal-manufactured cat food is slightly different from all the earlier products; it is classified as freeze-dried cat food. The natural food is gluten-free and grain-free. It provides your cats with all the benefits of eating raw food.
The fresh duck is an excellent protein source that provides a high level of amino acids, fatty acids, and other essentials for your cats. The nugget cat food is excellent for a sensitive stomach.
However, before you can serve your cat the feed, you need to add water to it. Remember, the cat food is frozen and dried. Therefore, water is needed to get it started.
Unlike the regular Freeze-dried Nuggets cat food, this one ensures healthy digestion. It also has fiber ingredients, including carrots, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, and squash. All these make a total of 4% fiber.
Are you a cat owner looking for a feed with natural fiber sources? Then you should try out Primal cat food.
Perks of Primal Duck Formula Freeze-dried Nuggets Cat Food
- It gives cats a raw food experience
- It has natural fiber sources
- The cat food has Omega-3 acid
- Also, protein is the primary source of protein.
Downsides of Primal Duck Formula Freeze-dried Nuggets Cat Food
- You must add water and mix before you can feed your cats.
Nature’s Variety Instinct Lid Rabbit Canned Cat Food
Instinct-manufactured is classified as a high fiber wet cat food. It has a rabbit flavor and a single protein source.
The is made with high-quality ingredients such as farm-raised rabbit, which has protein that is easily digested. All three ingredients will not trigger food sensitivity in your cats. It is made from real meat and other good ingredients, so it’s safe to say that the high fiber wet canned cat food is without fillers.
Also, it is free from grain, eggs, dairy, chicken, beef, wheat, soy, artificial colors, preservatives, and Carrageenan. The cat food has approximately 14% fiber content and 45% protein. Perfect for cats dealing with good sensitivity, allergies, and other digestion issues.
Perks of Nature’s Variety Instinct LID Rabbit Canned Cat Food
- It has a high level of protein and fiber
- Suitable for cats with allergies, food sensitivity, and other digestion issues.
- It has a single protein source.
- Cat food has limited food ingredients that control what you feed your cats.
Downsides of Nature’s Variety Instinct LID Rabbit Canned Cat Food
- It has a rabbit flavor, and there are chances your cats might not like it.
Natural Balance Original Dry Cat Food
Natural Balance-manufactured food comes with a chicken meal or salmon meal formula, depending on your preference. It is classified as a high fiber dry cat food.
The fiber response cat food comes from an ultra chicken recipe. The chicken meal also serves as the primary ingredient that provides protein and amino acid that ensures your cats have strong muscles.
Also, the cat food is made of 3% fiber content and helps your pet with digestion. Natural Balance-manufactured dry cat food strengthens the immune system and brain development. Although it allows cats with digestion issues, any other cat can eat this cat feed. It is free of preservatives, artificial colors, and flavors.
Perks of Natural Balance Original Dry Cat Food
- It does not exempt any cats. That makes it suitable for all cats in all life stages.
- It is free of preservatives and artificial colors.
Downsides of Natural Balance Original Dry Cat Food
- It has just 3% of the fiber content
Beyond Grain-Free Chicken Wet Food
Purina Beyond manufactures the last fiber response cat food on the list. The cat food gives you the best value for your money (it is affordable). It comes with chicken and sweet potato pate flavor.
It has a great source of protein and fiber. Its source of fiber is cellulose, carrots guar gum. All these ingredients sum the fiber content up to 11%. However, it also has a high level of carbohydrates (16.8%).
Beyond-manufactured food is free of preservatives, artificial color, and grain. It is only suitable for cats in the adult stage. Some of the ingredients are salmon, cranberries, and eggs.
Perks of Purina Beyond Grain-Free Chicken Wet Food
- It has a high level of protein and fiber content
- The fiber response cat food is quite affordable and gives the best value for your money.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Dry Cat Food Fibre Response 2 KG (U.K Specifically)
Royal Canin-manufactured fiber response cat food is designed to help your kitty have a healthy and active lifestyle. It is regarded as one of the most nutritious cat foods from a trusted brand.
Also, the Royal Canin product is classified as high fiber dry cat food. It is gravy and comes in a seafood flavor. Royal Canin is canned food, making it high fiber wet cat food. It is also a prescribed food, and you should only buy them based on a vet’s prescription.
The dry cat food is a perfect solution for cats with sensitive digestion. It has fewer calories compared to other Royal Canin foods. That also makes an excellent choice for obese cats who need to lose weight.
It comes with proteins that are easily digested. The high fiber wet cat food has Omega-3 Fatty acids to help cats reduce inflammation.
Perks Royal Canin Fiber Response Adult Dry Cat Food
- Prebiotic fiber in the cat food ensures that your kitty has healthy gut bacteria. It also helps with digestion functions.
- It has low calories.
- Royal Canin is an excellent choice for cats with digestion issues.
Downsides Royal Canin Fiber Response Adult Dry Cat Food
- It has a high level of carbohydrates
- It has cornflour and cornstarch, which might not suit your cat.
Weruva Grain Free Cats in the Kitchen Canned Cat Food
Weruva-manufactured product is wet cat food. It comes in 10 different varieties of flavors. They are:
- Funk in the Trunk
- Chicken Frick a Zee
- Two Tu Tango
- La Isla Bonita
- Splash Dance
- The Double Dip
- Fowl Ball
- Goldie Lox
- Kitty Gone Wild
- Lamb Burgin
- A Complete And Balanced
One factor that makes the cat food product the most sought after is its richness in protein. Also, it has a low level of carbohydrates, meaning your cat won’t get obese when it starts eating the canned food.
Apart from that, they are high quality and made of human-grade ingredients. Weruva Grain has an extra fiber from pumpkin, carrots, sweet potatoes, and xanthan gum.
Even though all these ingredients mentioned above come from plant matter, the Weruva-manufactured cat food still managed to have 72% of protein. The high protein and extra fiber level make it ideal for cats with constipation and other digestive issues. We also have a great review about cat food for cats with urinary issues.
Perks of Weruva Grain Free Cats in The Kitchen Canned Cat Food
- It is minimally processed, has a completely balanced diet, and is perfect for all breeds of cats.
- It is proteinous
- It has a high level of fiber
- It is free from gluten, grain, GMOs, corn, soy, wheat, Msgs, or Carrageenan.
Downsides of Weruva Grain Free Cats in The Kitchen Canned Cat Food
- You can’t preserve the cat food.
- Canned cat food is made of more plant substances than cat food.
- You get value for your money.
Everything we’ve said has established that fiber response cat food has a lot of benefits for cats, and some of them are:
- Fiber response cat food has low calories, which helps obese and indoor cats get into shape.
- It also helps with easy digestion.
- High fiber food also has a high protein source and fiber content.
Lastly, all the recommended cat food is free of preservatives, gluten, grain, GMOs, corn, soy, wheat, Msgs, or Carrageenan.