Coconut oil is becoming more and more popular over the years due to its widely acclaimed health benefits. It’s known to be a natural remedy for many skin conditions including itchiness, dry skin, and even bacterial infections. So it’s only natural that people have started using it on their dogs too. When used topically, coconut oil can help soothe and moisturize your dog’s skin, and leave their coat shiny and healthy.
Can You Leave Coconut Oil on a Dog’s Coat Overnight
There’s a lot of conflicting advice on the internet regarding leaving coconut oil on your dog and the optimal length. Many high authority websites claim 5-10 minutes is enough whilst some people claim that around 5 hours is the sweet spot. Both are valid and have shown great results.
Yes, You can leave coconut oil on a dog’s coat overnight, however, we do not recommend doing so. We found that in general, you do not need to leave coconut oil on your dog’s coat for a long period of time to get the full results. Around an hour seems to be an optimal amount of time in our personal experience.
There’s no reason for you to keep coconut oil on your dog’s coat overnight. You can achieve great results in only an hour. Also, It’s likely your do will find it uncomfortable and the oil will gather debris and dirt giving it the opposite of the desired effect. Your dog is also likely to lick it too, which also isn’t a great idea.
How to Use Coconut Oil on Your Dog’s Coat
Coconut oil is a great natural product that can benefit your dog’s coat in many ways. Here’s how to use it:
For a flourishing coconut oil treatment for your dog’s coat, follow these steps:
- Go for high-quality products: Opt for organic coconut oil that is pure and free of additives. The better the quality, the better the results you can expect. Avoid cheap brands and knock-offs that are made with chemicals, as they can have undesirable effects.
- Clean your dog’s coat first: Make sure your dog’s coat is clean and dry before applying coconut oil. Start by getting rid of any mats and tangles, and give your dog’s coat a good brush.
- Apply the coconut oil: Use your hands to apply the coconut oil directly to your dog’s coat with a small brush or comb. Begin at the bottom of your dog’s ears and work your way down, massaging the oil into the skin and coat. Pay extra attention to any dry or irritated areas.
- Leave the oil on for a short period: Leaving the coconut oil on your dog’s coat for an hour is usually sufficient to get the desired results. Avoid leaving it on for too long, as it can attract dirt and make your dog uncomfortable.
- Rinse and wash: After the designated period of time, rinse your dog’s coat with warm water and give them a gentle shampoo to remove any remaining oil. Dry your dog thoroughly with a towel.
Why Are Dogs So Greedy? [Behavior Explained]
The Benefits of Coconut Oil for Your Dog’s Coat
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that’s great at helping soothe and heal your dog’s dry, itchy skin. It contains medium-chain, fatty acids and antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. It’s the perfect home remedy for skin infections. We recommend trying out coconut oil for your dog coat but we advise against leaving it on overnight as it may become irritable after a while and do more harm than good.